Loughborough echo dating
The north of the town can be accessed from Junction 24, travelling through Kegworth and Hathern on the A6 road and the south west of the town from Junction 22, via Copt Oak and the small hamlet of Nanpantan.
Local buses are operated by Arriva Fox County, Centrebus, Kinchbus, Midland Classic, Nottingham City Transport, Paul S Winson, Robert's Coaches and Trentbarton. Navigation from Loughborough north towards the Trent was achieved in 1778 by the Loughborough Navigation, which terminates at Loughborough Wharf between Derby Road and Bridge Street.
The town has the world's largest bell foundry – John Taylor Bellfounders, which made the bells for the Carillon war memorial, a landmark in the Queens Park in the town, Great Paul for St Paul's Cathedral, and York Minster.
The first sign of industrialisation in the Loughborough district came in the early years of the 19th century, when John Heathcoat, an inventor from Derbyshire patented in 1809 an improvement to the warp loom, known as the twisted lace machine, which allowed mitts with a lace-like appearance to be made.
There were at one time three railway routes to the town: the still-operating Midland line; the Great Central Railway that closed as a result of the Beeching cuts; and a branch line from Nuneaton, part of the London & North Western Railway.
Today, the Great Central Railway line is in operation as the heritage railway and is the terminus of the south section of the railway.
The Rushes is linked to the town centre area by Churchgate and Churchgate Mews; the latter has independent shops.
The Rushes shopping centre has also been built on the site of the former bus station and is occupied by national chains.
making it the second largest settlement in Leicestershire.
It is close to the Nottinghamshire border and within short distances of Nottingham, East Midlands Airport and Derby.
In 2012, Network Rail redeveloped the station, increasing the length of platforms and improving access.
The local council has made concurrent improvements to the surrounding area.
Loughborough's local weekly newspaper is the Loughborough Echo.